Which specialist should I see for anencephalic pregnancy?

My sister has two consecutive anencephalic pregnancies. She had to get terminated both of them Doctors say there is no known reason for the same. Is there any specialist in Delhi/India whom she can consult. we are afraid if she can take a third chance. Is there a high probablity of getting a anencephilic child?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Follow-up: Which specialist should I see for anencephalic pregnancy? 4 minutes later
Can you please suggest what she should do now?
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 11 hours later

Anencephally normally doesnot recur. Its co-incidence that your sister had 2 in a row.
She must get her serum folate levels and take Folic Acid tablets regularly.

She can see Fetal Medicine Specialist
In Delhi we have Dr. XXXXXXX Kaul at Apollo, Dr I C XXXXXXX ( clinical Genetics) at Sir Gangaram Hospital
Pl do not worry. It should not occur again and can prevented with prophylactic folic acid tablets.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Follow-up: Which specialist should I see for anencephalic pregnancy? 12 hours later
Thank you Mam for your response.
She has taken folic acid tablets during pregnancy, in fact second time,doctor advised her to start taking even before conception (FEFOL 0.5mg). Also I would like to add that in her second pregnancy in addition to anencephaly there were some more things. her Reports said: Neural tube defect (Anencephaly, Thoracucumbar, rochisis), Cleft lips,palate, Omphalocele. despite of taking folic acid she had thses problems, we are afraid if she has some deficiency inside her which is causing this. Foetus and parents karotype report is normal, they have shown the same to Dr XXXXXXX in Gangaram. they are planning to some MEtaft test on feotus now (DNA test, am not sure).
Mam please suggest what all tests/precautions she needs to take.
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 24 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

You are at a good centre. Perhaps a clinical geneticist will be able to advise you the best.

The chances of recurrence are very low. The chances of subsequent healthy pregnancy is very high. So do not loose hope.

Folic acid needs to be started 3 months before she plans for next conception or better would be to start taking it regularly from now on. There is nothing much available as treatment for now.

Hope my answer was reassuring.

Wish you and your success good health.