Which medicine should I take to postpone menstrual cycle?

Mar 2013
I would like to postpone my menstrual cycle. I normally have a 25 day cycle. However this month I got my menses in 20 days ( 13dec12 - 03Jan13- next expected on 23Jan13). I need to postpone the same to after the 27th. Please advise meds to be taken.
Posted Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
You could start taking Progesterone preparation from 20th january onwards till as long as you do not want your periods. For eg, if you continue taking till 27th January, you would bleed only after that.
These are hormonal preparations and are prescription drugs, so you would need to visit your gynaecologist and get yourself examined for the exact dosage and brand and regimen.
On stopping the progesterone tablets, you would get your period within 2 -3 days, and maximum within a week's time.
However, I hope it is an important reason, as it is not advisable to meddle with the natural periods.
That said and done, for an exceptional case and for an occasional month, it would not harm you to take the tablets.
Please consult your gynecologist to rule out contraindications and to prescribe the exact drugs.

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: Which medicine should I take to postpone menstrual cycle? 35 minutes later

Thank you very much for the info. Will do the needful as suggested by you.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 minute later
Thanks for the appreciation, XXXXXXX
Please close the thread if your query has been satisfactorily addressed.