Whenever chew the food, gets tears in eye. What could be the reason?

I have one query for my wife. Whenever she chew the food, she gets tears in her right eye. What could be the reason, and should I need to visit to dentist or ENT or eye specialist?
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later

The most common reason tears in one eye without proper reason is blockage of lacrimal duct or probably those ducts are too narrow. It is better to XXXXXXX an Eye Specialist (Ophtalmologist) and not an ENT or dentist.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, please let me know!
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows:
Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Whenever chew the food, gets tears in eye. What could be the reason? 3 minutes later
Thanks Dr. Vasanth.
Only thing I want to stress is, tears come, only when she eats otherwise not.
Hope still your answer is valid.

Answered by Dr. Guru 5 minutes later

Thanks for the update and follow up.

Yes, most probably she might be having narrowing of tear draining ducts. If the tears accumulate because of this narrowing, there may be risk of infection. So, I suggest to consult Eye Specialist to properly diagnose the problem based on physical examination.

Wish you good health.