Wheezing, asthma, budecot, nebulization. Effects?

Hi Docor,
My son has weezing problem and not setteling down with levolin, so can I give budecot now? and is there a course of budecort to follow or 1 dose of nebulization is enough
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
In a diagnosed case of asthma, if levolin nebulization alone is not providing the desired relief then inhalers of long acting beta agonists like salmeterol with steroid like budecort are recommended along with some antiinflammatory drugs like montelukast.
It is best to get your child examined from his pediatrician and get the appropriate medications prescribed according to the need. Self medication is never advisable specially in children.
For momentary relief till then you can use budecort inhaler once. But steroids do not provide an immediate relief. They need repeated doses for their complete anti inflammatory effect.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: Wheezing, asthma, budecot, nebulization. Effects? 7 hours later
Thanks Doctor.

Basically I was asking about nelulization with budecort respules if levolin is not helping much i.e can we give budecort nebulization at home? and how many times it has to be given along with levolin ? do we need to complete some course or 1-2 time for temporary relief if enough.

Also since he he is getting such attacks often so is it recommended to use inhalers ? do they have side effects? which type of inhalers we we should use like preventive or quick relievers?

Thanks in advance.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 56 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Giving Budecort respules twice daily can help him get over the symptoms in 3-4 days but not immediately.

You can continue their use for longer time after consulting your Pediatrician. Taking inhalers is same as taking nebulization if used properly. Both have the same effect. Long term use of inhalers does not produce any serious side effects.

For every patient of asthma with recurrent attacks, both quick relievers and preventive inhalers are needed as both of them have their separate importance.

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.