What to do if have negative pregnancy test after missed period?

Mar 2016

Hi Doctor, We are planning to have a baby. My wife missed her period this tine but the home pregnancy test are -ve. She is 20 days past her period date, no symptoms nor the pregnency test is positive. Please suggest what to do. This is the first tine her period delayed this long. Please either mail me or call me for any further questions?
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 hours later
Brief Answer: FOLLOW THE GUIDELINE. CONSULT WITH DOCTOR. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic. First thing, I suggest her to undergo one blood test for beta-hCG and ultrasound scan (USG) to rule out late conception including other pelvic pathology if any. There are several reasons of missed period (20 days) besides pregnancy. They include hormonal imbalance, over weight, mental stress or emotional upset, Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease, pelvic infection, irregular diet habit etc. Some other relevant investigations like hormone test, blood sugar and prolactin level, LH/ FSH etc may be required to pinpoint the diagnosis. Proper treatment depends on diagnosis of the case. Kindly, consult with her gynecologist for clinical evaluation, proper guidance of relevant investigations and prescription. She may need hormonal medication to induce period. In the mean time, she can do the following things to get effective result: 1) Take healthy diet with more green vegetables and IRON supplements. 2) Avoid mental stress by regular meditation or yoga (15 to 30 min). 3) Control body weight by regular physical exercise and avoid fatty foods. 4) Take sound sleep always and maintain genital hygiene properly. Hope, it helps for her. Let me know, if you need any clarification. Wish her good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW