What to do if diagnosed with mild hypothyroid in pregnancy?

May 2013
I am 7 week pregnant. Last week i got my ultrasound done , texhician told me eveything is good and I also heard the heart beat which was 137 . My hcg was 46735. Yesterday i did go to my endo and she found out my tsh is 4.5 .. Though she had adjusted the dose but I am very scared after reading all those miscarriage stories on internet when people had tsh within range . Can you let me know how much misscariage risk do I carry
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Take advised tablets and maintain normal hormonal Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Hypothyroidism in pregnancy can lead to complications like miscarriage, low birth weight, stillborn baby etc. The risk is said to be more when the TSH level is above 4. The risk of miscarriage doubles in hypothyroidism patients compared with normal pregnant women according to some studies. But usually in clinical practice, well treated hypothyroidism patients are successfully completing their pregnancy and having normal baby. So continue the dose advised by your doctor. Strictly maintain the hormonal levels. This will help in continuing the pregnancy without problems. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
Follow-up: What to do if diagnosed with mild hypothyroid in pregnancy? 15 minutes later
Is it ok to fly with this status my flight is 5 hours .. Is it going to increase the risk more?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 hours later
Brief Answer: May not be any major problem Detailed Answer: Hi, There may not be any major problem for limited hours of journey by flight. During flying try to walk for 5 to 10 minutes after every two hours of sitting. Use foot rests if possible. If not you can use stakings. Better to take progesterone prophylaxis before journey. With your doctor's advice you can go for progesterone injection one day before journey or start progesterone tablets three days before journey and continue for three to four days after journey. This will prevent possible uterine premature contractions. Take care.