What tests should be done to rule out HIV?

Rheumatologist
Question
I took a blood test one month after unprotected sex and had both HSV 1 and 2 come back negative. I retested 6 months later, and it has been 4 months since the last time i had sex, and had HSV 2 come back positive with a IgG of 1.17. Should I get retested? considering the low number
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: PCR test would be accurate Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on HCM. I would like you to know that antibodies take time to develop after an infection. If you had been recently exposed to the infection it is possible that negative test earlier was due to lack of enough antibodies. The second test has picked up the rising antibody level. We can repeat the test but it may just add to more confusion. Therefore in my opinion you need to go for a PCR test done for HSV. PCR test is far more accurate than any other test . Take care. Dr Shruti

Follow-up: What tests should be done to rule out HIV? 35 minutes later
Can PCR tests be done with no outbreak? I have never had any lesions or outbreaks as far as I know.

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It can be done. Detailed Answer: Dear, PCR test can be done from blood sample also although the lesion fluid PCR is more conclusive; but blood sample PCR can be done . Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: What tests should be done to rule out HIV? 8 hours later
Last question, Is the igG level low considering it was contracted either 6-4 months ago? Thank you

Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, No , it can not be said that the titre is low because it was contracted 6 months before , it can be false positive also that is why PCR is suggestible . Dr. Shruti