What test can be done to confirm the intake of ambien?

Psychiatrist
Question
I suspect my 2-1/2 yr. old granddaughter is being given Ambien by her father as a sleep aid. When returned to us, she is unresponsive, extremely thirsty, and staring with glazed over eyes. The next 2 - 3 days she develops what the pediatrician labels a UTI and blood is found in her urine sample. This has progressed over the past year to the point she has developed an all over rash after her visits and extreme swelling of the ankles, hands, and face. All symptoms are getting worse than ever and last for more than 48 hours. What test can be done that will confirm my suspicions?
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress. Ambien contain zolpidem which is a sleep inducing medicine as its effect last for 5-6 hours only. Zolpidem may be quantitated in blood or plasma by gas or liquid chromatography. Half life of zolpidem is 2-3 hours, it means serum concentration of zolpidem become half every 2-3 hours gap. Your granddaughter is already with you for 2-3 days. There is almost no chance to find it in her blood. I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. Wish you good health. Regards, http://bit.ly/Dr-Ashish-Mittal

Follow-up: What test can be done to confirm the intake of ambien? 8 minutes later
If she were taken directly to an after hours clinic immediately following pick up, would they be able to definitively answer my concerns? What testing would be required to pinpoint the "sleep aid" that had been used (blood, urine, other)? Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hello again, Thanks for follow up. Q. If she were taken directly to an after hours clinic immediately following pick up, would they be able to definitively answer my concerns? Answer: Yes. But in my opinion, current symptoms of your grand daughter appears due to UTI, which is similar to pediatrician opinion. Q. What testing would be required to pinpoint the "sleep aid" that had been used (blood, urine, other)? Answer: Blood test by gas/liquid chromatography. Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful. Wish you good health. Regards

Follow-up: What test can be done to confirm the intake of ambien? 6 hours later
Okay then, if this were (hypothetically) an ambien, or similar drug, overdose/poisoning WHAT test would be required to have it identified? And what time frame is needed?Okay then, if this were (hypothetically) an ambien, or similar drug, overdose/poisoning WHAT test would be required to have it identified? And what time frame is needed?

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up. In case of ambien it is better to test within 1 day of suspected use, to confirm its use by gas/liquid chromatography. As body washes out ambien very fast and serum concentration of ambien becomes half every 2-3 hours gap Wish you good health. Regards