What should i do for heart palpitations and hypertension?

I'm a 45 year old male, no major health issues. Recently I've been having heart palpitations and hypertension 150/90, no chest pain, at night when I first go to bed? My doctor prescribed xanax but it isn't helping. Last years' transthoracic echo was normal, as was a 12 lead ekg. Any suggestions?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later

Hypertension of 150/90 means you do need antihypertensive medicines to control your blood pressure.

The tablet xanax you are taking contains alprazolam which is an anti- anxiety drug and can help palpitation only and that too if it is anxiety induced.

It has got no effect on blood pressure.

You need to get some appropriate antihypertensive drugs prescribed to control your blood pressure as soon as possible.

In my opinion beta blockers will be a good choice for you. You also need to exclude causes other than cardiac causes for palpitation like thyroid gland hyperactivity, etc.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.