What should be done after accidental overdosed of milk of magnesia?
User rating for this question
Hi I have accidentally overdosed on milk of magnesia that I took for constipation, and am now suffering from diarrhea-like symptoms. I have no kidney problems and have not taken this before. It has been about 9 hours since I took this and I have not seen any of the other symptoms that websites talk about - nausea, flushing, blood pressure etc. Should I be worried - and should I seek emergency care?
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Plenty of water and electrolytes will suffice Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. There is nothing to worry: the effects of overdose will wear out within 24-36 hours. Till then, just take plenty of water orally, along with half a spoonful of electrolyte powder (available OTC at any chemist's shop) in each glass of water AND normal meals, in order to PREVENT dehydration and deficiency of electrolytes in the blood. I will NOT recommend taking any drug (such as, Loperamide) to stop diarrhea. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal