What prevents the next ovulatory cycle after implantation?

In the ovulation, then fertilization, and implantation cycle, what hormonal change prevents the next ovulation cycle, if implantation has occurred?
What prevents the next ovulatory cycle after implantation? Is it lots of prolactin, is it production of human growth hormone by the trophoblast, production of protaglsndins by the corpus outrun, or less picture in the ovary?
I did not mean "or less picture in the ovary?" I meant "less oocytes in the ovary"
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 days later
After the implantation occurs, the formation of corpus luteum of pregnancy in the ovary prevents further ovulation. This corpus luteum secretes progesterone which prepares the uterine lining for the implantation.
Since the corpus luteum secretes progesterone, the normal estrogen phase does not happen which is usually seen in the first half of the cycle before ovulation and thus there is no development of follicles in the ovary which are the main source of ovulation.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.