What medicine is recommended for congestion in the chest and cough?

What medicine is recommended for congestion in the chest and cough ? I had an irritation in the soft palate a few of days back which has since subsided but the cough and congestion persist. On Doctor's recommendation, I took Roxid 150 and Febrex plux (in morning and evening). Please suggest an alternative if there is and any home remedies. Thanks,
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Irritation in the throat usually occurs due to viral infections which then get complicated by secondary bacterial infections. The bacterial infection then can spread to the lower respiratory tract and cause congestion and suppurative inflammation leading to wet productive cough.

Since you already are placed on ROXID which is an antibiotic , bacterial infection will surely come down soon. The antibiotic will prevent damage by the bacteria and prevent productive cough.Do continue the antibiotic along with the Febrex plus as advised by your doctor. It is important to continue the ROXID to complete the course.

If you have dry cough, gargling CHLORHEXIDINE solution thrice daily after food would be a better remedy.

Also steam inhalation with eucalyptus in it would avoid symptoms for sometime.
Do take ginger flavored tea, this adds to the effect of above remedies.
A mixture of a teaspoon of garlic oil and 3 teaspoons honey thrice daily will help in recovery from lower respiratory infections.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: What medicine is recommended for congestion in the chest and cough? 56 minutes later
Out of 10 tablets each, I have taken 5 of both. However, there is no significant improvement - there is a slight reduction in the tendency of coughing but it increases at nights and early morning. As such, I feel the cough is dry.
Should I continue after the strips get over ?
Do you recommend some cough syrup ?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Do continue the medications as advised by your treating doctor.Also do follow the remedies I mentioned in my previous post.It does take some time for the medications to show optimum effect.

If above measures followed, I consider there would be no need for any cough syrup.

Wish you good health.