What medications are used to prepone periods ?

Hello doctor. My last period was 16th of july. The expected date for this month will be 18th of august. But unfortunately, i need to attend a prayers and if can i want prepone it.. is it possible?? i want the period to end on 17th August. any strong medicines available.. ? If ye, when shud i take it? i have taken tablets to postpone before but was not comfortable wit it..
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later

The treatment given for preponement of periods is same as that given for postponement. You will again face the discomfort this time. Synthetic progesterone tablets are useful and is used to postpone cycles.
Right now it is too late for preponement of periods. You have got the only option of postponement.

Even for postponing your periods, you must start taking the medicine by 14th august as it takes 48-72 hours for the drug to produce its effect on the uterine lining. For preponement, you should have started the medicines not later than 3rd august for your periods to finish by 17th august assuming that you bleed for 3-4 days normally.

Please consult your Gynaecologist and you may get the medicines prescribed to you.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: What medications are used to prepone periods ? 1 hour later
The pharmacist recommended SEARLE 1461 for me to be taken today.. I took two tablets in the morning as per his prescription.. so if i were to take postponement tablet now, will that help???
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 38 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

The pharmacist has given you misoprostal by mistake. It is used to produce abortion and might cause slight bleeding but it cannot prepone your periods in any way.

Yes, you can take the tablets to postpone your periods now.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Thank you so much doctor!!!! That was scary when u told me its an abortion pill!! So i will start taking the postponement pills from today onwards.. any prescriptions for that pill? i mean the name of the drug.. and how many times per day? Thank you again Dr. Rakhi!
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Since I haven’t physically examined you, it is inappropriate and unethical to prescribe you scheduled drugs.

I am bound by the rules of law to not give any online prescriptions. Hence you will have to see the gynecologist for the medicines that you require. I am sorry on this.