What leads to pain in the back lower right side of skull causing extreme headaches?

I have a pain in the back lower right side of my skull moving up into the top of my skull on the right side that is causing extreme headaches. It developed 2-days ago. The pain is not originating in the neck... I am having no problem turning my head without pain. I have had no injuries to this area and know of nothing that has happened that may be causing it.
Posted Sun, 12 Jan 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Uncontrolled hypertension Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query The pain you are describing is a classical of hypertensive headache. It suggests that your blood pressure needs to be under better control. I suggest the following to you 1. Please record your blood pressure at different times daily 2. Approach a physician to change/alter anti hypertensive medications to bring down the blood pressure. Adding a calcium channel blocker like amlodepine should give a a better control as it is a long acting drug 3. Reduce your salt intake 4. Do not engage in strenous exercises until your blood pressure is under control 5. If the headache is severe and it causes blurring of vision, weakness or change in behavior please approach the ER immediately 6. For now Tab Naproxen 500 can be taken for the headache, it will give you good symptomatic relief I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me I wish you good health and a speedy recovery Regards