What kind of medicine be taken for digestion during pregnancy?

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
hi , what kind of medicine be taken for digestion during pregnency?
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Nirja Chawla 2 hours later

Whenever you ask a question, you must always be very clear about what exactly is the problem and write the details. Your question 'medicines that help in digestion during pregnancy' is vague. All the same I’ll try and cover all aspects.

A problem in digestion could mean a sense of fullness after meals. May I suggest that if this is what you meant, do take small frequent meals during pregnancy. Never be fully full or fully empty. Remain in moderate limits. Besides this some anti- acid preparations like Ranitidine are absolutely safe even in the first 3 months of pregnancy. Go for walks to help movement of the bowels downwards so that the stomach empties faster. Add fibre and roughage to the diet by taking 5-7 helpings of fruits and vegetables and consume whole cereals and dals instead of maida and dals without their skin. Add amla (Indian gooseberry) to your diet for its amlaki which is a natural anti-acid.
Avoid very hot food - cold water and food often help. Avoid spicy and fried foods.

If you have nausea then addition of vitamin B6 helps greatly especially in the first 3 months. You will find that consuming methi (fenugreek) and karela (bitter gourd) improves digestion.

I hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Dr Nirja Chawla