What kind of food can I have while having blood clots in lungs and torn meniscus in knee?

I've been on coumadin now for 11 months. recently was tested to seei if i could come off the medication, results say no. I had a Torn meniscus in my right knee. It started my problem with the blood clots in have resting on the top of my lungs. It took a long time to get it to be stable at 2.5 Now it's so up and down these daysr I don't no what I should do. My Doctor kepts changing the doses.My question is what should i be eating, not eating? I do have a glass of wine no more than 4 to 6 oz four times a week. should I stop it all together? as of yesterday my INR is now down too 1.6 I need some more help here. Thank you.. My e-mail is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Food items suggested; and try to reduce wine Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I should rightfully start by saying that whilst on warfarin therapy (eg. coumadin) your INR will range from between 2 - 3.5. Now coming to your query about a stable diet to help with normalization or stability of the INR. Numerous studies have proven that daily supplementation of vitamin K helps in stabalization of INR levels and reduced variability, that should help in preventing thrombosis and bleeding events. Recent studies have shown that a dosage between 100-500 mug of vitamin K on a daily basis can help reduce variability. Dietary recommendations have categorized vitamin K containing food items into high, moderate and low levels. 1. High level of vitamin K food items recommendations: Not more than one serving a day Include: -Kale -Spinach -Turnips -Collards -Mustard greens -Swiss chard -Parsley All to be freshly boiled, and one serving should be less than half a bowl 2. Moderate: No more than 3 servings a day -Brussels -Sprouts -Raw turnips -Endive lettuce -Romaine lettuce -Broccoli -Green leaf lettuce Half cup equals one serving 3. Low: Not more than 3 servings -Chilli powder -Cayenne -Curry -Paprika -Curry leaves -Pickled cucumber -Dark leafy greens -Asparagus -Prunes Less than half a cup for one serving. Also, it would be best to reduce the intake of wine gradually, if you can do this. Please do try, as you must already know that alcohol breaks down the vitamin K gradually resulting in the increase in INR levels. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes ma'am.