What kind of diet should I follow to maintain normal blood sugar and cholesterol levels?

Dear Doctor, My total Cholestrol count is 279(VERY high). Please provide me diet chart for 1800 kcal per day, low bl sugar, low cholesterol. Thanks in advance. regards, XXXX
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Weight
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Details provided sir Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I shall surely provide you with a diet that should help you to reduce your cholesterol levels, but I need you to understand that this needs to be done gradually and so, start gradually and then lower your calories. Let us start with a list items that we can include in your diet, they are the following: -Fish (eg. tuna, halibut, cod, seer fish, mackerel, salmon, etc.) -Lots of fresh green vegetables -Fruits containing high amount of vitamin C and antioxidants (eg. oranges, watermelons, grapes, grapefruit, etc.) -Avoid fruits with a higher fat content (eg. mangoes, bananas, etc.) -Avoid smoking -Moderate use of alcohol -At least 30 minutes of walking per day -5-6 small meals instead of 3 large meals -Brown rice -Whole-wheat bread -Oatmeal -Muesli -Avoid meat (especially organ meat) -Eggs -Dairy products with high fat content -Fatty/oily/fried food -Oils that can be used are olive oil, canola oils, peanut oil, etc. -Avoid sugar and all sweetened and/or carbonated drinks Now let us come to your diet: Exercise either early in the morning for one hour or 30 minutes between 6 - 7 a.m.; or between 5 - 6 p.m. for an hour or 30 mins) Breakfast options (7 - 8:30 p.m.): a. 1 slice of toasted bread with a glass of tomatoes, carrot and a pinch of lime juice put in a blender b. A bowl of fresh fruits (as mentioned above) with a glass of non-fat milk c. A bowl of non-fat milk with some cereal (as mentioned above) Lunch options (1 - 2:30 p.m.): a. 2 slices of bread with one whole tomato cut into slices, 2 pieces of meat (as mentioned above), with some fresh green vegetables, followed by a cup of lukewarm water with a few drops of lime juice immediately after the meal (avoid any cold beverages during the meal) b. two pieces of meat, with a dry chapati, and a bowl of fruits c. bowl of vegetables (salad) with some lime juice sprinkled on top of it, with a glass of warm milk and a piece of meat Exercise either early in the morning for one hour or 30 minutes; or between 5 - 6 p.m. for an hour or 30 mins) Dinner (6 - 7:30 p.m.; not later): a. one piece of meat with a bowl of vegetable b. one piece of meat with half a dry chapati c. two pieces of meat d. one bowl of fruits with one bowl of green vegetables with lime juice sprinkled on top Remember to keep yourself well hydrated as most people mistake thirst for hunger and if you feel hungry later, you can have a glass of milk or a blended vegetable drink. Also, weight loss and gradual lowering of your cholesterol and blood sugar levels will take time, be patient and do not lose track of your regimen. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.