What is trigabantin used for?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
What is trigabantin used for
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: For Neuropathic Pain. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Trigabantin, a combination of GABAPENTIN and ALPHA LIPOIC ACID (ALA) is prescribed for the treatment of NEUROPATHIC PAIN. As you are having a disc bulge at the level of L5 (which might be causing compression over the adjacent nerve), your doctor might have prescribed Trigabantin inorder to alleviate the neuropathic pain. Hope I have addressed your query. I welcome any more clarification Regards
Follow-up: What is trigabantin used for? 4 minutes later
Due to my l5 bulge I am not able to sit down on the flore not able to front bend .what is your advice and getting frightenedto walk on the road.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Initial management is always Conservative. Detailed Answer: Hi, Nice to hear from you. The initial management of lumbar disc disease is always by conservative (non surgical) methods as follows - - Usually 1-2 days of bed rest will calm severe back pain. Do not stay off your feet for longer, though. - Maintain optimum body weight,if you are obese - Avoid lifting heavy weights as it imparts more strain on your back - Change your daily activities so that you avoid movements that can cause further pain, especially bending forward and lifting as it will worsen the disc protrusion. if you want to bend forwards, do it with your hips and knees flexed. - Use a lumbosacral back support (brace) to stabilize your spinal muscles - Intermittent pelvic traction might be helpful to cause a regression of the protruded disc. This has to be done under the supervision of a physiotherapist. - After the initial pain has subsided, remedial exercises to strengthen the spine are very important to restore normal spinal movements and muscle strength. The main aim of exercise is to encourage mobility, reduce muscle spasm, prevent further deterioration in the muscles and speed recovery. - Use analgesics like advil or aleve and muscle relaxants to relieve pain and muscle spasm, as needed. Vitamin B12 supplements & Pregabalin may be helpful in controlling the neuropathic pain. If your fail to improve with the above measures, an Epidural steroid injection may provide good symptom relief for a few months. There is good evidence that epidural injections can be successful in 60-70% of patients who have not been helped by 6 weeks or more of conservative management ( nonsurgical care). Hope I have justified your query. Happy to help further