What is the treatment for schwannoma?

Hi thanks for asking . I went for an MRI onto nerve sheath tumour and line you said its benign and it's called a shcwonoma and I have to have it out otherwise it will get bigger and start compressing my nerves
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Prasad 8 hours later
Brief Answer: You can opt for surgical removal... Detailed Answer: Hi, So it turned out to be schwannoma (not neurofibroma). Both these are very benign and chances of malignant cancerous changes is extremely rare. Studies reveal cancer risks are lower than 1% with schwannoma. Though schwannoma grow slowly, unlike fibroma it has more tendency to cause compressive symptoms. Therefore your doctors suggestion to get that removed. You can plan this surgery as per your convenience. Let me know if you are looking for more information about this tumour. Regards