What is the treatment for loose cartilage in joint?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
solution for a loose cartilage fragment that is seen in the joint between the posterior cruciate ligament
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Surgical removal will help. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The loose fragment of cartilage in the knee joint can cause a pain and swelling that increases on movement. The treatment depends on the severity of the symptoms. If the pain is severe and persistent then it is best to get the loose cartilage fragment removed surgically and get the cartilage gap repaired that is shown in your MRI report. Since the cortisone shots have not helped you, surgical management should be considered. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: What is the treatment for loose cartilage in joint? 2 days later
Dr Tayal Further to my communication after the cortisone shot I had 3 more shots (1 per week) of Syndisc (Ruster or Rooter Comb) no change at all with the shots I am still very worry what action should I will take, it is a must that the "If the pain is severe and persistent then it is best to get the loose cartilage fragment removed surgically and get the cartilage gap repaired that is shown" Do you recommend that the action is taken urgent to avoid with the pain, what probabilities I have that the pain will disappear ????? I am worry and also upset but if the recommendation is if your suggestion is done I will have a higher % to be and feel better Regards XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Surgery is recommended to decrease the pain. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. The surgery is recommended only if there is a severe persistent pain. The pain is likely to improve after the surgery. There is no urgency but it will make the quality of your life better. If the surgery is not done then the pain will persist and may become worse with time. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards

Follow-up: What is the treatment for loose cartilage in joint? 25 hours later
DR Tayal Last question, do you know the prescription for the shots Syndisc (Ruster or Rooter Comb)?? is that the correct shot or they will not do any good as the MRI shows, I am leaving on a cruse for a Week from Miami to the Caribbean, I am buying more comfortable shoes and maybe after my return will check locally with a Doctor for a second opinion By your message I should wait a little longer if pain persist then I should remove the loose cartilage fragment having surgery again Wait your answer for my last question, your advise have been very helpful. XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Synvisc one should help in your pain. Detailed Answer: Hello. Synvisc one is hyaluronic acid shot given in the knee pain due to osteoarthritis. It will decrease the pain due to loose body also. A local steroid injection will help in reducing the inflammation in the area. If the pain is bearable then you can do hot fomentation, get local steroid injections and go for regular physiotherapy. In case the pain persists then do consider for surgery. Regards.