What is the treatment for leg cramps while suffering from sciatica in my left leg post spinal surgery?

8 wks ago I had laser spinal surgery from s1 to t12. I am a dental cosmetic surgeon, 30 years in practice, six years ago started using an operative microscope to help me visualize better, as well as improve my posture. I had primarily left side sciatica symptoms in the left leg, Problem now: whenever I am recumbent (bed. couch, etc) I will have spontaneous excruciating leg cramps from foot to calf to inner thigh, debilitating pain. I know I have lost muscle mass from postsurgical inactivity, but now both my legs (especially upper thigh quads) are so sore I feel like I have been punched in the legs all night. Had cardiac ultrasound, heart is OK, considering doppler on legs for venous return. (Left foot/ankle always red, swollen) Any ideas for me to pursue? Thanks Dr XXXXXXX XXXX
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Need some more details Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Pain you have appears to be radicular in nature. To opine on the exact cause for the same, I need to know what surgery was performed on the spine and for what reasons. What was the preop diagnosis? How long where the complaints before surgery and what were they? Was surgery eventful and meet success ? Do you have numbness in the lower limbs now? Please do attach any of the imaging reports taken before and after the surgery. Waiting for your response,