What is the treatment for hip pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have hip pain. I had a complete body scan about one year ago and was told my hip joint looked healthy but it is getting more painful, usually after sitting for even a short period. Activity, such as cycling or moderate (4 mph) walking on a treadmill doesn't cause pain, but lately I notice pain sleeping unless I keep a pillow between my knees while sleeping on either side. Stairs are causing pain while walking on level doesn't. Any ideas?
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 16 hours later
Brief Answer: There can be hip arthritis-degenerative Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. As per your history there can be hip arthritis which can be degenerative or due to avascular necrosis of femoral head [AVN]. I will advise you do X ray of hip again and you can consult me with reports or with your doctor. After clinical examination IF AVN is suspected then you will need MRI. Till time take analgesic and cartilage protecting medication like glucosamine sulphate. For hip arthritis joint flexion, extension and rotation exercises will help. Physiotherapist will help you better to learn more exercises in proper protocol. If required intra-articular injection can be given. Pain on climbing stairs can be associated with knee osteoarthritis; do you have knee pain while climbing upstairs? At age of 69 osteoporosis can be associated so you may need to take calcium supplement.Diet rich in calcium and protein will help. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.