What is the treatment for headache, dizziness, cramping, diarrhea and fever with chills?

headache, dizziness, taste buds, cramping, diarrhea, fever(?), chills
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Need some information from your kind self ma'am Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Based on your symptoms, the more important symptoms are the cramping, diarrhea and fever. The headache and dizziness could be due to the loss of fluids in the form of diarrhea, and the change in taste buds or their dysfunction could be due to the fever and chills. Although your symptoms are still not very clear ma'am, I would like to ask you if you experienced the sudden onset of your symptoms 2-6 hours after consumption of a particular meal? If so, what did this meal contain and where was it prepared (eg. home, if so by whom?; outside?). I would also like to know if you have a recent history of travel? I greatly appreciate your help. With your current symptoms I would like to start by saying that it is absolutely mandatory for you to keep yourself well hydrated at all times. The loss of fluids can result in dehydration, which when bad, can be a reason for hospitalization. Do try to start yourself on a probiotic available over the counter and an oral rehydration solution (ORS). It would also help if you could visit a nearby clinic or hospital and get a complete blood profile and stool examination conducted to further assist with finding the exact cause for your symptoms and in turn the diagnosis and accordingly guide you through rapid and effective treatment. I look forward to your kind response ma'am and hope you find my response helpful so far. Please also feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.
Follow-up: What is the treatment for headache, dizziness, cramping, diarrhea and fever with chills? 1 hour later
I don't remember what I ate for lunch that day: possibly rotisserie chicken from the supermarket. Also, I had some Miracle Whip which didn't taste quite fresh, and bit into a roll which I saw on closer inspection to have tiny green mold (?) cirlces on it. And soup and salad from the day before ... I have not been out of town, per se, but running all around the metro area, picking up food for our new puppy, etc. Thanks for your suggestions re the probiotic and ORS: will do.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Diagnosis: Acute gastroenteritis (Acute GE) Detailed Answer: Hello once again ma'am. Thank you so much for the information, it really helps. Based on your symptoms and the information you just provided my suspicion for a possible stomach infection called acute gastroenteritis (acute GE) has grown ma'am. This infection takes place by the consumption of contaminated food or water, which are quite possible from your provided information. In case this is the infection I am suspecting, the probiotics and ORS will certainly be part of the treatment regimen, but the first line of treatment will have to be antibiotics. Acute GE is treated with antibiotics called ofloxacin usually 200 mg. But I would still request you to pay a visit to your doctor and allow him/her to confirm the infection and accordingly initiate the antibiotics. I would also like to add an antacid like ranitidine to your treatment regimen. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.