What is the treatment for depression?

I have become very depressed it has changed me alot i dont even know who i am anymore an dont like who i have become Have become very depressed dont know who i am anymore an dont like who ive becom
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please,get evaluated and treated by a psychiatrist Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about the depression that you are currently battling with. Depression is something that no one really wants to deal with. However, if we do get depressed then following up to get it fully evaluated and treated is the best thing to do. Depression can be cause by medical conditions like hypothyroidism, stressful circumstances in life. no identifiable cause, etc. Getting consulted to find out if there is a possible identifiable cause that can be treated would be very helpful. If it is caused by a difficult life situation, doctors can work with you and propose coping strategies. Do you have any idea on what could have been the possible cause of this? In all, depression can be well managed given the huge number of drugs that are available, effective and with minimal side effects/ There are so many patients who were feeling like you that have all benefited fro these and are all feeling great and happy with themselves already. Take the opportunity and get consulted for a proper investigation and management. A psychiatrist would be the best person to look into this. Please, depression can at times make you develop suicidal ideas and plans. if this ever happens to you, please rush to the emergency room and get help. Believe e, if you give your doctors the opportunity to address this, you would son find yourself being happy with yourself and about the prospects of tomorrow. I hope you find the above information helpful.I wish you we. Thank you so much for using our services and please feel free to ask for more clarifications and information if need be. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.