What is the treatment for constipation for 14 month old baby?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Good evening, I have a 14 month old son who has been constipated for three weeks now. He is pushing so hard that he is purple in the face and has sweats as he is pushing. I went to Credit Valley hospital the first week and they did an xray and said that he was extremely packed but also gave me lactlose and suppository for infant and child as well as colace for softening the stool. Nothing is working. I again went to the hospital this time I went to sick kids in downtown Toronto and they too did not help me. They said its all in the food and it needs to be changed. It wont happen overnight the food change but is there anything I can do about his strainining. I literally pick out his stools from his bum with a q tip. They come out harder then rocks. Please can you suggest anything??
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 3 hours later
Brief Answer: lactulose 5ml three times Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to health care magic. As suggested by your doctor's already. It's the diet which would be the permanent solution. Increase his fruits and vegetables and give water after each feed. Cut down his fat intake. In the meantime, you can give oral lactulose 5mp thrice daily for a week . This should help him soften his already formed stools. Wishing your kid great health. Regards Dr Arun