Ask a Dentist   »  

What is the treatment for chronic incisive papilla?

Question
treatment for chronic incisive papilla please . My papilla under the front two teeth gives a lot of irritation constantly. Treatment for chronic irritation in papilla pls. I have already got the papilla region subjected to laser treatment but to no avail. what do u think is the best and easy and quickest solution to this constant irritation in the incisive papilla which is the region in the underside of the front two upper teeth.
The irritation persists in the exactly papilla region constantly and it keeps on bothering me. Pls give me a solution to this ASAP and also pls give me an idea as to what exactly is wrong and why does it constantly bother me.
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 4 hours later

Thanks for writing to us,

I would like you to know that incisive papilla is a very sensitive area and it has a number of nerves and vessels supplying it. Therefore even slight trauma to it can cause this area to be sensitive.

Trauma can be from biting on a hard substance which accidentally pokes the papilla, or from hot drinks or any other causes.

I will advise you to perform warm saline rinses (3- 4 times/day). That should partly reduce the irritation.

Besides that I also urge you to see a dentist; he/she will perform a thorough dental check up to rule out the cause. Specific treatment can be planned according to the cause.

Do not worry; most often such cases are taken care by topical medication.

In the mean while kindly avoid very hot and spicy foods until the papilla completely heals. You can also take vitamin B complex supplements such as Cap Revital - one pill per day for a week. Topical gels such as Dologel-CT can be applied to soothen the irritation.

I hope I answered your query. If you have any more questions for me kindly post them.

I wish you good health,

Follow-up: What is the treatment for chronic incisive papilla? 14 hours later
I shall take the Vitmin B complex , Cap Revital and shall also apply Dologel-CT and shall also do the warm saline rinses 3 to 4 times daily but I hope I don't have to go in for desensitization of the papilla region by desensitizing of the nerves that are present here.

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 11 hours later

Yes, ideally you should follow these instructions for at least a week. Massage dologel-CT onto the concerned area half an hour before the meals, only if there is no relief, you should see a dentist.

Kindly let me know if you have any further queries.

I wish you good health.

Follow-up: What is the treatment for chronic incisive papilla? 40 hours later
I hope I don't have to go in for desensitization of the papilla region by desensitizing of the nerves that are present here in the incisive papilla region that keeps on bothering me.

For now, you do not have to worry about desensitizing procedures, just try and follow the instructions provided here.
Practice them for 10 to 15 days, only if you get no relief you should go for desensitizing of the nerves.
Just be calm, I wish you good health.