What is the remedy for sebaceous cyst under my right breast?

General Surgeon
My doctor told me that i had a sebaceous cyst under my right breast at my rib cage about 11/2yrs.ago.During the past week, i started having a lot of pain and now i'm noticing that it has become larger!I am going to see the dr. tomorrow morning.I am 57 yrs.old and i am scared!What could this be?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later

Sebaceous cyst can occur at any place in the body except palm of hand & sole of foot. It is due to blockage of sebaceous gland in the skin which causes the secretion to pile up. This pile up secretion or content of sebaceous cyst is known as Sebum.

It can also occur under the breast and is benign in nature. It can get infected and presents with pain and also increase in size.

The exact nature of the contents of a sebaceous cyst, and its surrounding capsule, is determined by whether the cyst is infected or not.

With surgery cyst can be completely removed or excised. A completely removed cyst never recur.

Poor surgical technique or previous infection, scarring and tethering of the cyst to the surrounding tissue may lead to rupture during its excision and removal.

If the person has a predisposition to cyst formation, further cysts may develop in the same or other areas.

It is a benign condition, so there is nothing to worry, complete surgical excision is the best option.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health.