What is the remedy for light headedness,chocked throat and cough ?

throbbing pain down both sides of my neck - sort of pulsating, constant hoarness and having to clear my throat, occasional cough, light headedness,
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Follow-up: What is the remedy for light headedness,chocked throat and cough ? 7 minutes later
unusual pressure sensation in my head - not painful as such just pressure
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 25 minutes later

From the symptoms that you have mentioned it looks like upper pharyngitis. It may be caused by either viral or bacterial infections. Common viruses, viruses that cause mononucleosis (mono) and flu, can cause a sore throat. Sinus drainage (post nasal drip) and bacteria like streptococcus can also cause a sore throat.

The pressure sensation in the head and light headedness that you are having can be due to sinus congestion. Chronically inflamed sinuses (air filled spaces in the nose) produce large amounts of mucus. It drips down on the back of the throat which causes constant clearing of the throat and headaches and light headedness due to sinus headaches.

Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and use over-the-counter throat lozenges. Salt water gargle is also a good way to relieve a sore throat. In addition, take ibuprofen and paracetamol (acetaminophen) after consulting your general physician. Sucking hard candies and ginger lemon tea and inhaling steam would also help in opening the sinus congestion.
Also get a rapid strep test (to rule out streptococcal sore throat) and a throat swab done at your doctor’s office so that if it is bacterial pharyngitis, you will need a course of antibiotics.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions then please do post us.