What is the remedy for acute pain in back and ribs caused due to accidental fall?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My father had a paralytic strokes approx. 10 yrs. back, post which he has little disability in normal walking .. couple of weeks back, he had slipped in the house .. though there wasn't any injury and he was Ok in a day or two .. Now for last 2 weeks he has not been able to walk at all .. infact he is finding it difficult to even stand, resulting into almost ZERO movement .. while getting UP and DOWN from bed he complains of acute pain in back and ribs .. Kindly suggest ..
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 27 hours later
Brief Answer: Following measures will help with the pain Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. From description , it seems he might developed muscular or ligamentous strain over back . Now after 2 weeks if pain is severe ,I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. He may get the X-ray/ MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance. Meanwhile following measures will help with the pain • Lie on a hard bed. • Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required • Avoid forward bending. • Give adequate rest to the involved muscle group and avoid any movement that causes pain • Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Wishing him speedy recovery... Take care