What is the remedy for severe back pain?

hello doc i am having severe back pain from today morning i could not go for jogging, nor to the office i am bed ridden the pain is severe please advise something
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Do a hot fomentation and bed rest. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The acute severe pain in the back could be due to a muscle spasm, calcium deficiency, back injury or acute disc prolapse. The exact diagnosis needs a physical examination and a few investigations to find out the cause. The following measures will help with the pain for the time being • Lie on a hard bed with a firm mattress for a good back support. • Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food will help relieve the pain. • Correct your posture while sitting • Avoid prolonged sitting • Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights or bending forwards. • Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help. You also need to consult your physician for stronger prescription medicines like muscle relaxants- chlorzoxazone or thiocolchicoside if the pain is persistent. Avoid any exercise in the time of pain. Back strengthening exercises and proper calcium supplements will help in decreasing the frequency of such pains. You can learn the exercises from a physiotherapist after the pain subsides. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL