What is the reason for unsual weight gain after pregnancy ?

I am 25 and I had an active youth always was all the way up to 15 when i got pregnant had high blood pressure and went into birth early was put on meds and when i stopped taking went into birth soon after. After pregnancy and during the last three months of bedrest i gained a total of 70 pounds. I lost all that by exercise and diet managed to keep it off by starving and fad diets and sometimes excersize . I got a surgery in 2010 for a few hernias and which didnt go well and i am to receive another to fix it due to the patch being recalled. I have these heart flutters and problems breathing but i take zoloft so anxiety isnt the problem and i rarely get anxious only depressed. I am currently obese only have been for around 8 months . I gained this weight fast somehow I never changed my eating or physical activity it seems to just have happened. A friend told me this happened to her when she at something that she was allergic to but I have untreated adhd and I could not possibly remember what the new addition was. I also get this pulsing in my Peripheral artery and also in my kidney is this strange? Sorry for the long history just thought it may help.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later

Thanks for your query , I have read through the details. The history is really informative.

The weight gain after the pregnancy has straight reasons that are low BMR ,increased storing for lactation,no exercise or diet management.

The recent gain even after diet and exercise would probably be due to hormonal problems . I would ask you to revise any medications or hormonal birth control measures if you are on now and get thyroid test done both of which are my prime suspects at your age and with the above history.Also do get ruled for PCOD( poly cystic ovarian disease)which is another common cause for weight gain in women of your age.I do not attribute this issue to any kind of allergies.

The hernias you had could probably be due to fast weight gain and loosing over months which affects the tone of the abdominal muscles and result into hernias . Faster gain or loss is not acceptable as it can pose risks to the heart by altering the cholesterol levels in the body.

The pulsing peripheral artery which you have may need to be examined to find out what exactly is causing the same, I do not consider it to be related to the weight issues you are facing now.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them