What is the reason for swollen tongue with black and blue color on each side?

I have a swollen tounge with black/blue on each side
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Could be caused by allergies? Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this tongue swelling. From the description you have provided, I am concerned this could represent and allergic reaction manifesting as angioedema. This can be caused by allergens in food, environment, etc. If it is mild and you have no difficulties breathing, the trying some Benadryl or zyrtec would be very helpful. However, if you have breathing difficulties, you would need to visit the emergency room for appropriate management. Are you taking any drugs like Lisinopril, captopril, etc for high blood pressure? IF this is the case, please talk to you doctor and consider stopping them. Also, try to find out if there is any suspicious cause that you may want to avoid. I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and please feel free to ask for clarifications is need be. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.