What is the reason for sudden intermittent frozen hands,thumb stuck inward and choking when in stress?

Nov 2013

28 male, Today I was at a friends house and decided to go have a cigerette before breakfast wile outside I started thinking about work which is very stressfull this time of year with thoughts raceing my hand started to freeze up and my thumb was stuck inward having this happen a few times in the past under similar conditions so I got as close to the ground as I could before I couldn't move my body, I had short chokeing intermintn breaths and body spasms that I couldn't controll but did not lose consciousness during the episode which lasted about a minute or 2 this has happend a few times in the past and I have seen a few doctors about it being seizure related but they have told me it was notI have had MRI,s and EKG's and a brainwave scan with no bad results what is this and is there anything I can do about it
Posted Sun, 12 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted your symptoms in detail. There are two main possibilities that can explain your symptoms: 1. Syncope, 2. Seizure This is because your symptoms are intermittent and last for a short time, which can happen in both the above-mentioned conditions. In syncope, due to stress or other factors, the blood supply to brain is reduced, which results in symptoms as you have mentioned. Further evaluation may require a consultation with cardiac electro-physiologist and HUTT (head up tilt test). In seizure, there are involuntary movements of body with or without loss of consciousness. MRI and EEG may be normal in about 50% of cases. An empirical course of anti-seizure medications may be used for the time being, until the diagnosis is clear. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog: