What is the reason for sharp pain on right side of abdomen,in between waist and below breast?

I have a Very bad pain on the right side of my abdomen, in the middle between the top of my waist and below my breast. It goes around to the middle of my back. It's gotten so bad I can hardly cough. I have a doctor's appointment on Monday, something unrelated, a follow up on blood work, but thought I'd ask...
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Considerations Detailed Answer: hello and thank you for sending the question. Pain in this type of area raises concern for possible inflammation of your gallbladder. this can sometimes cause sharp pain which sometimes radiates to the back. Typically this pain is located in the right upper quadrant just under your rib cage. if you develop fevers or chills or nausea or vomiting return not controllable it would be reasonable for you to seek assistance at your local emergency room. Otherwise it is most likely fine for you to wait until your appointment. As with any advice we recommend that you talk to your primary care doctor before making any decision. Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns. Dr. Robert