What is the reason for pain and bruising in upper thigh?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I noticed pain in my upper thigh a few day ago i did not bump it against anything. when i pressed on it i felt a knot. i thought the pain would go away but over the past few days the pain has spread down my thigh and to my leg and there is bruising. what is going on.
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hematoma collection or benign swelling Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. As per your history it looks swelling of soft tissue which is hard in consistency. According to your history there is possibility of hematoma collection or benign swelling around thigh. If swelling is not reducing I will advise you to further investigate for the cause of swelling[knot]. I will advise you to do MRI and Ultrasound of the swelling. If its collection or benign mass it can be excised. Till time you can take anti-inflammatory and antibiotic if infection is suspected. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.