What is the reason for low grade fever with sore throat since 6 weeks ?

I have been experiencing low grade fever on and off for around 6 weeks, general body aches, Sore red throat on and off over that period and a general malaise. Headaches, usually worse in the evenings and swollen glands in my neck
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in General Health
Follow-up: What is the reason for low grade fever with sore throat since 6 weeks ? 5 minutes later
10 days ago finished a course of bactrim for sinus infection, which I still feel could be causing problems, also had a UTI which most mostly asymptomatic. Now have a dull ache in my upper back R) side
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

As the description by you is incomplete and I would like to know a few more things which will help me in suggesting you better:
1.Along with fever, did you have any chiils or rigors?
2.Do you have any history of migraine?
3.Do you have running nose, pain in the throat, lumps around the neck etc?
4.Any pain in the abdomen, bowel symptoms?
5.Did you travel to any tropical countries recently?
6.Do you suffer with any diagnosed medical conditions?
7.Are you on any regular medications?

Please reply to the above questions as this will help me in suggesting you better.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: What is the reason for low grade fever with sore throat since 6 weeks ? 48 hours later
thanks for your reply. i have had a chill, but not all the time, no history of migraine, a pain in the throat, swollen glands around my neck - my GP checked for mumps (neg) My bowels are usually regular, I have not travelled recently, i have fatty Liver disease and am only on pristiq 50 mg regularly. A recent stick test of urine showed large leucocytes and nothing else. I moved from the Gold Coast in September to XXXXXXX and am still climatising myself to the winter cold here. I hope this extra information helps.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 10 minutes later

Thanks for the details.

Well, your symptoms suggests more like flu. But the causative factor needs to be determined as there are several infections that may cause similar symptoms of fever, sore throat, headache, swollen gland.

You will have to undergo some blood tests and the main possibilities to be ruled out are strep throat, tonsillitis, sinusitis, mononucleosis, viral infection etc. You may be having pain in the upper back side due to fatty liver. It would be better to get an USG abdomen to rule out related gall bladder conditions which also present with pain abdomen.

I would also like to rule out malaria and tuberculosis if you have any history of exposure. The Urinary Tract Infection presents with fever with chills and I would recommend a Urine culture & sensitivity test to be done, even if you are asymptomatic.

A throat swab should also help. It would be better to get investigations done first before starting again on an antibiotic course. Please discuss with your treating doctor and get the investigations done and get treated accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.