What is the reason for high fever in my child?

my 9 year son old woke this morning complaining of stomach ache and feeling of nausea, then high fever (102-103.9) throughout the day, tylenol and motrin gave little comfort, he is delirious and says he feels upside down, and feels a heart beat in his head near his temples. His eyes don't look focused, please help.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later

High fever in a child of 9 years can be there due to multiple reasons.It can be infective- most probably intestinal infection, viral infection, throat infection, etc.

Feeling delirious and palpitation is commonly associated with a high grade fever.

It is best to get your child thoroughly examined by his pediatrician to actually know the reason of fever.

It is good that his fever subsided with tylenol. The other general measures that you can take to make him comfortable are-

1. You can start by giving him the BRAT diet (i.e, bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) or soft easily digestible semisolid diet can also be given. Further, avoid giving any junk food or oily, spicy food, fatty foods, sugary foods, dairy products,etc. until recovery is complete.

2.Replace lost fluid and salts due to increased water loss from body due to fever: Give him broth, soup, fruit juices, soft fruits, or vegetables.

3.Avoid the following foods: Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), Cold drinks - stick to warm tea or water as long as symptoms persist.

If the symptoms are not relieved , medical treatment might be needed after proper examination.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Wishing you and your son a good health.