What is the reason for dull persistent pain in ovary before periods and bloating?

Mar 2016

I am experiencing a dull but persistent twinge/pain in my left ovary about 4-5 days before expected period, plus a bloated feeling and a general sense of unwell. Ive had twinges in the ovary before but not a persistent sort of ache. I am 43 with no previous issues of this type. I'm very frightened because my mother is battling ovarian cancer.
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: NEED TO RULE OUT OVARIAN CA. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. According to your given information, I can assume that underlying causes could be the following: 1) Premenstrual Symptoms (PMS) in association with hormonal ups & downs. 2) Benign Ovarian cyst or Ovarian carcinoma as you have positive family history. In this scenario, I suggest to consult with GYNECOLOGIST for overall clinical and pelvic examination along with regional lymph node (RLN) assessment to pinpoint the diagnosis. Some investigations are required to confirm the same like: a) Trans Vaginal Ultrasound scan with Color Flow Doppler Imaging technique. b) Blood test for CA 125 and MRI scan (if above reports are abnormal). c) Histopathological examination (Biopsy) of concerned ovarian tissue if needed. Proper treatment can only be made after diagnosis of the case. In the mean time, you can take anti-spasmodic medication like Drotaverine with Ranitidine and maintain an overall healthy lifestyle. Hope, it will be helpful for your information and understanding. Let me know, if you need clarification. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW