What is the purpose of mammogram after a blood test?

I am a 48 yo female and after getting my blood test results, my doctor is sending me for a mammogram. .This doesn't make sense to me.
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: I would be happy to help... Detailed Answer: I would agree that this does not make any sense. There is no lab work that would come back abnormal that would lead to a mammogram. Given your age, you should be having a mammogram every year. If you could find out what the labs were, I could help you make more sense of this. Otherwise, I do not think that you have anything to worry about. I hope that this helps and good luck!