What is the possibility of getting HPV through physical contact?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
I am concerned. About 6 months ago, I kissed a girl with HPV. All we did was kiss but I am worked I contracted herpes. I have not had any cold/sun blisters but feel, if she had it, I probably have it. I currently have a sinus infection. My doctor prescribed antibaotics. I am waiting for a cold sore to show up. I am single and still want to meet someone but am worried that I will infect them if I kiss them. What should I do? what are the signs for herpes around the mouth?
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. HPV is human papilloma virus - that causes genital warts, and can cause head and neck cancers. It does NOT cause herpes. You cannot get HPV by kissing , only by oral sex, and definitely by vaginal / anal sex. Now, if you meant HSV ( herpes simplex virus ) - that does cause herpes. ( Could you clarify which one you meant ? ) There are two kinds of herpes virus. Herpes simplex type 1 or Oral Herpes mainly affects the mouth, occasionally causing blisters elsewhere. THese breakouts around the mouth, are called cold sores. It can be transmitted by kissing / oral sex. Herpes simplex type 2 or Genital Herpes causes blisters mainly around the genitalia, but very rarely elsewhere on the body. This is mainly transmitted by vaginal / oral / anal sex. This type of herpes is generally not contracted by kissing. Regarding signs of herpes around the mouth, the time between acquiring the infection and appearance of symptoms can range from 2 - 20 days. Initally, there is itching around the area , tingling, burning, with our without pain, and then sores appear. THis is for those who DO show symptoms. More often than not, for HSV 1 , people are more likely to be asymptomatic than show an obvious cold sore. The usual presentation is for the itching / tingling / burning to occur ( prodrome ) - followed by actual sores. However, atypically you might feel some malaise, general feeling of fatigue and being ill, nausea, fever, headaches, enlargement of lymph nodes in the throat or armpits. Rather than worrying so much, you should have a viral swab test to confirm if you are infected. All the best. Looking forward to hearing from you. Take care.

Follow-up: What is the possibility of getting HPV through physical contact? 1 hour later
She had hpv, herpes in and around her vigina. We only kissed. Can I get hsv from someone with hpv? I guess it doesn't matter, she probably had both. I am concerned for any future relationships I might have. I don't want to give anyone a dieseas. Tell me more about being asymptomatic. Are you saying, I may carry it without showing signs? I have 2 lyphnodes that are swollen right now. I had a sinus infection, took some anti baiotics and cleared most everything but still have 2-3 lyphnodes in the back of my throat swollen My main concern is cold sores, getting them and transmitting them to others

Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: You cannot get HSV from someone with HPV, if that person does not have HSV ! If she had herpes , then yes, you can acquire herpes from kissing her. HPV is not acquired by kissing generally. Yes, most of the times, herpes infections are asymptomatic. ALmost 70 % of the population in US is a carrier ( asymptomatic ) - they do not show any signs ( cold sores or typical signs ) - but that still renders them a carrier - they still have the capacity to infect others. The lymph nodes could be swollen due to the upper respiratory tract infection. HOwever, having had exposure, it makes sense to get yourself tested. You should know your own status ( and potential to transmit them to others ) before getting into another relationship. All the best.

Follow-up: What is the possibility of getting HPV through physical contact? 44 hours later
Can I contract hpv by deep kissing?

Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: No, you cannot contract HPV by deep kissing. Please go through the following link, will help you better - WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: What is the possibility of getting HPV through physical contact? 9 minutes later
I apologize for continuing this conversation but I read it. I also read everything else on the internet and am scared to death. Half the articles say yes, while others say 3% chance. I have had only had 1 sexual partner my whole life and rarely date. My health is extremly important to me so any additional advice is appreciated.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Do NOT apologize for continuing the conversation. The reason I am here is to address your questions and clear your doubts. I am honoured by any follow up questions that might come across, feel free to ask away. The internet is a compendium of EVERYTHING in the world. And I know that the scare stories out there can be distressing to a person who is not in the medical field. That is why I attached the official government institutional version. The others are uncorroborated versions. Please do not worry, you would not get HPV by kissing. There have been only anecdotal reports about the transmission by deep French kissing / oral sex, however there is no scientific evidence for the same. Please go through one more link - WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: What is the possibility of getting HPV through physical contact? 4 days later
Hello Doctor, I used bleach on a nearby ringworm and got some on my penis. right underneath the pee hole it turned read. I washed it immediately and but anti baiotics on it. It no longer burns but there are 3 little circles there. GOD I AM SO SCARED!!! Did I catch hpv or hsv2?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hi It is not a good ideal to self medicate yourself without having a proper established diagnosis. 3 little circles sounds very much like ringworm ,and not HPV or HSV. SInce you have had some exposure, and are so worried, please get an STD screen, and also a prescription for the fungal infection. I can sense your apprehension, so why not have proper medical attention for the same ? Take care

Follow-up: What is the possibility of getting HPV through physical contact? 2 days later
Hello, just because I have written so much to you. I went to a dermatologist today and had him exam my penis. He said I have some fleshy skin near the hole, a little irritated but did not look like a wart. Its strange, I feel more confident but after all the reading and conversation. I still have fear. Is there a time when I can officially say, I don't have it?

Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: For HPV - there is no screening test for men. Diagnosis is clinically made whenever you HAVE a wart. For HSV, there are blood tests that can conclusively say - you do not have it. You can request those at an STD clinic.