What is the normal heartbeat for a person ?

I have been in pain from bulging discs in my neck and an impingement from my shoulder. High BP and a rapid heart beat soon followed. Finally I was put on Lisinopral and Atenolol. Things seemed under control - even after an epideral flood in my neck and some trigger point injections. All of a sudden I woke up about a week ago with a HR of 123 and wouldn't go down any farther than 85. BP was sightly elevated. I was in some pain again. I got a cortizone shot in my shoulder and it actually came down a bit. 92 BPM when I wake up and can sometimes get it down to 78. It's been consistant for about 4 days. I am an otherwise healthy 44, 150 lb year old woman with NO previous history of High BP or Heart Rate. Seems consistant with the pain. Does this sounds right? Should I be concerned about a HR in the 80's???? The nurse at my Dr.'s office always tells me "you're fine" .... too me it sounds like there should be more to it.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 53 minutes later
Hi Patti,

Human heart beats at a rate of 60-100 in a minute . This is the accepted normal range for heart rate in an healthy adult.

Its normal to find a Slight increase in heart rate and slight increase in BP in a person Having bodily pain.

Heart rate varies from individual to individual and varies according to the physical activities of the person.A heart rate of 80 is considered normal in an healthy adult .

Heart rate of 78, 85, 92 is considered normal during this episode.Meanwhile get an ECG which will show the Heart rate and other parameters which will help you in guiding in further management if required.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.