Ask a Dentist   »  

What is the normal color of hard palate?

ENT Specialist
Question
What is or are the normal color(s) of the hard palate? My hard palate is a light white and has been for years?

Thanks!
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX vachon,

Thank you for your query,

1. The normal color of the hard palate is light pink similar to the rest of the oral cavity. There may be slight variations from person to person, even occasional dark melanotic pigmentation and there is no clear definition of 'normal'.

2. A change of color to white may represent oral submucous fibrosis (OSMF), which may be in response to dietary irritants such as extremely hot food, chillies, betel nut, iron and zinc deficiency or more commonly to smoking or tobacco. This may extend to the other parts of the oral cavity as well. Usually there is associated intolerance to spicy food, dryness of mouth, ulcers and, in severe cases, inability to open the mouth fully. Severe cases also involve the soft palate and uvula.

3. Mild cases require no treatment. However this process of fibrosis is irreversible. It is considered in the list of pre-cancerous conditions, however, this is rare. Careful follow up is advised. You may also try to identify the causative factors and treat or avoid these. Antioxidants are usually prescribed.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.