What is the meaning of "Hydroquinone free" ? Is meladerm safe to use ?

Hi ..
what mean this is hydroquinone free ? and let me know if the meladerm good of not ?

Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 14 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Meladerm is a skin whitening cream which does not contain hydroquinone, steroids, mercury or other harmful bleaching ingredients.

In fact it contains Kojic Acid, Alpha Arbutin, Mulberry extract, Bearberry extract, Licorice extract, Lemon Juice extract. These ingredients are skin lightening agents which are regarded as very safe to skin with no side effects.

Hydroquinone is also an agent which has bleaching properties but it has few side effects though not very serious. At times when one has very sensitive skin, hydroquinone can cause redness or irritation of skin.

On long term use, it can also lead to Ochronosis (which means that it can ironically lead to hyperpigmentation or darkness of skin). Hydroquinone is banned in lot of countries for this reason. Very high concentration of it may cause de-pigmentation(milky white color of skin). Looking at this lot of companies avoid use of hydroquinone.

Since in India, it is not a banned drug we use it very often and we hardly get to see any side effects.

To comment on whether meladerm is good or not won't be very right from my side. Being a dermatologist myself I cannot comment on any drug with out knowing the cause to be used for. The content of the cream are good but how far effective it would be in your case would be debatable matter.

I can only say that its seems to have a very safe combination and you should always use a sunscreen daily to protect yourself from sunlight.

If you can tell me for what reasons you want to use the cream then probably I can suggest you or provide more suggestions.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries if any.

Dr.Bharat chawda.