What is the inflammed swollen bump on the left side of my vagina?

HI I am a 31 yr old female with no significant PMHx. I usually do not wear underwear. Often times I will get vaginal irritation (itching or burnging), I assume from friction from my pants/shorts. At work (I am a nurse) if I walk a lot it seems my vaginal area will get more irritated than usual and it is usually only on one side. Well today, same thing happened, felt irritation at work as usual and I came home and put some monistat cream on it and I noticed a small bump in the area if irritation. I immediately freaked out and started thinking it was a genital wart. Then I kept inspecting it and a large area around it seems swollen too. The bump is not obvious. I also just shaved down there yesterday but it doesn't look like an ingrown hair. It doesn't look like anything. I can just feel a bump that is in a clearly inflammed and swollen area on the left side of my vaginal opening. I am super concerned. I have had sex with the same partner since March and he is married. Please do not judge me on that indiscretion.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 49 minutes later

After going through the description provided by you, I feel that you should get a VDRL test done.

The bump which you noticed could be a wart or an inflamed Bartholin cyst or an inflamed Boil as you had shaved your hair. Please see a Dermatologist as to know the exact cause which only can be determined after a physical examination.

Meanwhile you can start with an antibiotic like Doxycycline or Azithromycin for three days after collection of the sample for the test.

Take a course of antiinflammatory drugs like Diclofenac potassium + Trypsin and Chymotrypsin combination twice daily after meals. If not available then you can take Aceclofenac + Paracetamol combination.

If it is a wart, Podophylline is to be applied locally but do not apply yourself as it might cause burns.
If it is an inflammed bartholin cyst then it would require drainage.

For irritation you can apply Beclomethasone and antiinflammatory ointment. Xylocaine ointment 2% locally will give some relief. For itching you can take tablet Levocterizine after discussing these with your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.