What is the impact of taking 4 Dulcolax suppositories by mouth instead of insertion through anus ?

I took 4 Dulcolax suppositories by mouth instead of orally for a colonoscopy tomorrow. What will happen do I need to go and get the tablets and take them too?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 28 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

From what I understand of your question you took four suppositories by mouth instead of the way they were supposed to be used via the anus. This is a very understandable mistake and try not to worry about this right now. The question of coarse for you is it what you need to do right now. It is extremely important that you have an adequate preparation of your colon prior to your colonoscopy.

I recommend that you obtain an additional four suppositories and use them as directed prior to your procedure. If you do not have an adequate XXXXXXX preparation it will really make a procedure not worth while. It is very important that you have a good preparation so your gastroenterologist can visualize your entire colon and recognize any abnormalities or polyps. This may represent some kind of inconvenience for you but I still think it is worthwhile.

It is also important that you drink plenty of clear liquids tonight and also that you take any additional pal preparation which they have recommended for you as directed.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my answer to be both helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns regarding this question please do not hesitate to ask.

Dr. Robert.