What is the impact of having cold during 1st trimester?

Mar 2013
I am preganant and completed 1st month and currently in 2nd month. I am having severe cold(thick) because of heat in body. I wanted to know what is the impact of having cold during 1st tremister.
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer: NO IMPACT ON BABY, DO NOT WORRY. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. As such, there is no side effect of having cold in the first trimester, especially to the baby. If untreated, you might develop upper and lower respiratory tract infection, which can cause severe discomfort. You should take steam inhalation with eucalyptus oil ( nilgiri oil ) or Vicks atleast 5 - 6 times a day for 3 - 5 minutes at each sitting ( cover your face and head with a warm towel while doing this ). Also, you can take ginger and tulsi in tea daily. Take vitamin C tablets for 15 days ( once daily ). Take warm food ( nothing cold ), specially hot steaming chicken soup with ginger and black pepper. Try warm saline gargles 5 - 6 times a day. Warm milk with turmeric also can be taken. If all these conservative measures fail, then you can take decongestants like Diominic DA once a day for 3 - 5 days. Most common colds pass away within a week at the most. If no relief is obtained, then antibiotic treatment can be started. It is better to consult and have an examination by an ENT specialist before beginning antibiotics. However, antibiotics are best avoided in the first trimester of pregnancy, so try all conservative measures first. Do not worry, as it will not have any negative impact on the baby, unless you develop severe fever ( temperature exceeding 101 - 102 degrees F ). Take care. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: What is the impact of having cold during 1st trimester? 2 hours later
Thank you doctor. I will do the options provided. I wanted to know if exhaling strongly from nose to clear flum causes any problem. From couple of days, I am having slight pain/discomfort to my left abdomin as if there is some stretching towards that. I want to know the reason for the same.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Thank you for the appreciation. Yes, exhaling strongly to clear phlegm from the nose will not pose any problems. Do not worry, you can blow your nose strongly to clear secretions. As the pregnancy advances, the size of the uterus also increases. The uterus grows in size, and causes pressure on surrounding structures such as the muscles, nerves, ligaments and other organs around. This pressure can lead to pain / discomfort in the abdomen. Stretching sensation is also common due to this reason. Be rest assured, there is nothing to worry. Take care, and be well. Please feel free to contact me anytime directly using the following link - WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: What is the impact of having cold during 1st trimester? 12 hours later
Also wanted to check, if it is fine to take stairs till 3rd floor during this time. Many are suggesting not to use stairs much, as it may loosen the sack. Please advice, so that I can plan to shift my home to avoid usage of stairs. Currently I am slow while using stairs.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX again. 3 flights of stairs can be exerting during the first trimester and late during pregnancy when you would be nearing term. Too much of exertion can carry a risk of miscarriage / preterm labour etc. I would suggest that you should shift to a lower level, unless you are not working, and do not have to use the stairs everyday, then it would be fine. Take care
Is it fine if I take stops between every stair and continue. Will this help to avoid any miscarriage?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Yes it is fine if you climb slowly and with rest in between. If you are using it more than 3 - 4 times a day, you should be worrying. Else, do not stress out.