What is the gold standard treatment for symptomatic pineal cysts?

can you please tell me what the gold standard treatment plan is for Symptomatic Pineal Cysts?
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 2 hours later
Welcome to healthcare magic.
Thank you for your query.

Pineal gland cyst is common in the population.
However, most of the cysts are asymptomatic.
If it is slowly increasing in size, then it may cause headache & sometimes it may cause hydrocephalus (obstruction to the brain fluid pathway).
If it is symptomatic then treatment is needed.
I am sorry to say that surgery (excision of the cyst) is the only treatment option.

Before going to surgery, confirmation of the diagnosis is necessary.
Because these are very rarely symptomatic.
Tension headache & migraine should be excluded, as these are the most common causes of headache.

I hope I have been some help of your query.
Please write if you have any doubt.
Follow-up: What is the gold standard treatment for symptomatic pineal cysts? 5 hours later
can you recommend a doctor in Australia who might be familiar with symptomatic pineal cysts?
Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 3 hours later
You would need a neurosurgeon to work with you. As I practice far away from your locality, I am sorry I may not be of much help with referring you to a qualified neurosurgeon.

That being said, pineal cyst is usually asymptomatic and detected incidentally on scans. Therefore there are high possibilities that any of your symptoms - headache, nausea and vertigo may be related to the pineal cyst. You can discuss with your physician to confirm the relations between pineal cyst and your symptoms. If it is indeed symptomatic, you can be referred to a neurosurgeon.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you need clarifications.