What is the dosage of topamax for severe Obsessive compulsive disorder?

When starting out taking Topamax to help with pretty severe OCD how many mg would a 5ft 8in woman start out taking? Does it make a difference or work better if you take morning or night? Also how many mg per day before anorexic symptoms start to evolve?
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Dose prescribed based on protocol ma'am Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Topamax is usually not calculated taking into consideration weight and height ma'am. There is a fixed protocol by which we prescribe the medication. It is as follows: -25 mg/day for the first week, usually a morning dose -Increased by 25 mg/day the following week -Then increased by 50 mg/day the following weeks This increase in dosage is only advised in those patients, in whom a response is not achieved. The dose is careful titrated and altered based on the patients response and individual requirement. In patients taking a dosage of higher than 50 mg/day, the dosage is also split into morning and night dosages (eg. 50 mg in the morning, and 25 mg at night). In your case, as mentioned in the above regimen, a 25 mg/day dose would be recommended to begin with, but please do consult your doctor for the same. As for the side effects, a maximum dosage of 400 mg/day is recommended, beyond which side effects, dependence or toxicity is seen. It is highly recommended for you not to self-prescribe and to only take the dosage recommended by your health care provider. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.