What is the difference between tiazac xc and metoprolol tartrate?

What is the difference between Tiazac XC and metoprolol tartrate. I have been on metoprolol for 5 years but I am having a little trouble with my preformance in the bedroom. My doc suggested I try tiazac. I am 48. What are ur thoughts?
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Metoprolol is a beta adrenergic receptor blocking agent. It reduce blood pressure by reducing heart rate.

Decrease in sexual performance is not reported with use of Metoprolol.

Tiazac contains Diltiazam hydrochloride. It acts by inhibiting cellular influx of calcium ions. It acts by relaxing vascular smooth muscle, thus decreasing peripheral vascular resistance and blood pressure.

It can cause sexual difficulties and gynecomastia.

Thus in my opinion there is no advantage in Diltiazam over metoprolol.

Hope, I have replied your query.

With good wishes,