What is the cure for COPD with lungs pressing on the stomach ?

i have copd and my lungs press on my stomack , any relief
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thank you for your query.

When you tell me you have COPD, I assume you have seen a primary physician and perhaps a lung specialist. COPD is a chronic process as you know which is related to past smoking. In this process, the lung has an impaired ability to exchange oxygen for carbon dioxide in the circulation within the lungs.

In a person with COPD, the lungs are what refer to as hyperinflated and can indeed press on the other organs of the body such as the stomach. I imagine if you are feeling this sensation progressively or if it is worsening, then you may be experiencing an exacerbation of your COPD. Exacerbations can be caused by a number of things including viral or bacterial infection or allergens.

I can assume also that your doctors have prescribed you medications such as Albuterol, Spiriva, or Advair. These medications help to minimize the discomfort associated with COPD and improve the ability of the lungs to function. Occasionally we have to give additional meds such as prednisone or antibiotics in the event that a patient is feeling progressively worse over time.

My comments here are general. If you have a followup question, please include any medications which you have been prescribed and the results of any recent pulmonary function testing.
XXXXXXX I thank you again for your query, I hope this answer has been adequate and informative. I am available for your followups.

Dr. Galamaga